Home > Our Village > War Memorial

War Memorial

War Memorial4

Overview

On the 11th of November 2019 the Parish Council obtained Grade II Listing status for our War Memorial. 
List Entry Number: 1464933

Location

Church Green, Junction of Church Lane and Church Road, West Row, Suffolk, IP28 8PD

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of war memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at West Row in Suffolk as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 35 men of the parish who lost their lives during the conflict. It was designed by Messrs HG Neville and Son of Mildenhall and was unveiled on 8 May 1919 by Lieutenant Francis Jaggard MC, a local officer who served through the war.

The memorial was originally enclosed by ornamental iron railings manufactured by Messrs WJ Ford and Sons of West Row. However, these were removed during the Second World War as part of the war effort, and subsequently replaced by a chain link fence in the late C20. The total cost of the memorial was £90, which was paid for by public subscription.

Following the Second World War a dedication was added to commemorate the nine parishioners who fell in that conflict.

In 2018 the memorial was cleaned and the names and dedications repainted.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919, with Second World War additions. It was designed and manufactured by Messrs HG Neville and Sons of Mildenhall.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: West Row War Memorial stands in a prominent position on Church Green, a triangular-shaped area of grassland immediately to the east of the Church of St Peter (unlisted), at the junction between Church Road and Church Lane.

The memorial, which stands some 3.2m high, takes the form of an obelisk with a three-stepped plinth set upon a broad square base.